Toshiba Canvio Basics is a portable external hard drive ideal for your storage requirements. This hard drive is known for its high transfer speed and USB 3.2 Gen 1 technology. If you want to learn how to set up your Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB on your computer, continue reading this article.
Unpack Your Hard Drive And Check The Components
- Unbox your hard drive and take out all the included items.
- Your package contains a Canvio Basics 2TB hard drive, USB 3.0 Micro-B cable, and a support document.
- Remove the packing materials and get ready to connect the hard drive to your computer.
Install Hard Drive
- Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drives are bus-powered, so you don’t need to connect them to an external supply, and they get enough power from the USB port itself.
- To begin with, connect the supplied USB 3.0 Gen Micro-B connector to your Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drive.
- Turn on your computer and then wait until it is booted up completely. Then, connect the next end of the USB connector to the Type-A port of your computer.
- Your hard drive will power up, and the power indicator will light up. Then, your hard drive will appear in File Explorer.
- Now, you can start using your hard drive just as you prefer.
Reformat Your Hard Drive (optional)
Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drives come preformatted with the NTFS file system, which is compatible only with Windows Operating Systems. Therefore, if you want to use your hard drive on your Mac, you should reformat it with the HFS+ format. In case you have both Windows and Mac computers, go ahead and format your hard drive with the exFAT format, which is compatible with both Operating Systems. This section will teach you how to reformat your Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drive.
- Open the Run box on your Windows computer by pressing the Windows and R keys together.
- Type diskmgmt.msc and click OK.
- When you are directed to the Disk Management section, right-click on your hard drive and select Format.
- Enter your hard drive name in the Volume label field in the Format dialog box. Specify the file system according to your preference and leave the allocation unit size as default.
- As we discussed earlier, if you use your hard drive on Windows and Mac computers, select the file system as exFAT.
- Then, click OK.
- Within a few seconds, the formatting process will be completed.
This is how you should reformat your Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB hard drive. Remember, if you are going to use this hard drive only on a Windows computer, you can leave your hard drive with the NTFS file system itself.
How To Eject HDD Toshiba 2TB Hard Drive
Once you are done with the hard drive, you should eject it before removing it physically from your computer. The oncoming instructions will show you how to eject your hard drive on your Windows and Mac computers.
- On your Windows computer, click the Hardware and Eject Media icon.
- Now, a pop-up message will appear. It will list all the devices connected to your computer.
- Locate your Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drive and click on it.
- Within a few seconds, it will notify you that your hard drive is now safe to remove.
- Click OK and unplug your hard drive from your computer.
- On your Mac, locate your hard drive and click it by pressing the Ctrl key on your keyboard. Then, choose the Eject option.
- Alternatively, you can drag the hard disk icon to the trash.
- Now, you can unplug your hard drive from your Mac.
In this way, you should set up your Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB hard drive. In case you require more clarifications regarding the procedures on this page, use the call option to contact us. To learn about Toshiba Canvio Advance which is used on your mac, Click here.