In this section, we will explain how to fix Seagate External Hard Drive 2tb Not Working Mac issue. Seagate is a popular brand in the market and stands tall among its competitors. Any Seagate external hard drive has a sophisticated design and a large capacity to store a huge amount of data. But it is still a piece of hard drive and errors can occur now and then while using it. On a basic level, you can download the latest version of the firmware from the manufacturer’s website to sort the minor issues. Still, if your Seagate 2 TB external hard drive is not performing like before, check out the troubleshooting methods given below to solve the issue.
CHECK THE OVERALL CONNECTIONS
- Ensure that the Seagate hard drive's Wi-Fi mode is turned off.
- If not, press the Power button and wait until the blue Wi-Fi light turns off.
- Use the original cable or 18-inch USB cable to connect the drive to your Mac computer.
- If the USB cable is damaged from any side, then this may lead to the Seagate 2TB external hard drive malfunctioning issues. So, buy a new USB cable and connect the drive to your Mac.
- If the hard drive starts working like before, it means that the fault is with the USB cable and not with the Seagate external hard drive.
TRY USING A NEW USB PORT
- Sometimes, due to less usage or no usage, USB ports fail to function. So, ensure that the USB ports are functioning properly on your Mac computer.
- If your PC has multiple USB ports, try to connect the Seagate 2TB external drive to another port.
- In case your Seagate 2TB external hard drive is recognized by your Mac after connecting it to another USB port, then the troubleshooting steps are over.
- If the hard drive issue still exists, follow the below troubleshooting methods.
MOUNT THE HARD DRIVE
- Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- Go to the System Information or System Profiler section.
- Select Show All Devices.
- Choose the intended entry and click on the Mount button.
REPAIR THE HARD DRIVE WITH FIRST AID
- Click on Launchpad and find Other.
- Locate Disk Utility to open it.
- Select the Seagate external hard drive and choose First Aid at the top.
- Click the Run button.
- Wait patiently until the hard drive is fully repaired.
ASSIGN A DIFFERENT DRIVE LETTER:
Assigning a different letter to your Seagate 2TB external hard drive is one of the best troubleshooting steps you can perform. In case the problem persists even after assigning a different drive letter to your Seagate drive, move on to the next troubleshooting method described here.
CHECK FOR VIRUS ATTACKS ON YOUR PC:
- It may look weird, but using the antivirus software might solve your Seagate hard drive issues.
- Usually, malware or virus attacks give rise to malfunctioning of the Seagate external hard drive.
- So, run a complete system scan to identify the malware on your Mac.
- If you find any malware on your computer, fix the same as soon as possible.
FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE
If the above steps don’t solve the issue, then formatting the hard drive is the only option left.
- On your macOS Dock, select Finder.
- Navigate to Applications > Utilities and select the Disk Utility application.
- In the Disk Utility window, choose the Seagate hard drive icon from the sidebar.
- Next, click the Erase tab.
- In the Erase dialog box, select the Volume Format option.
- Choose APFS or MS-DOS, orexFAT.
- Wait patiently until the formatting completes.
So, these are some of the best troubleshooting methods you can follow to get rid of the Seagate 2TB external hard drive not working Mac problem. Furthermore, if you come across any doubts regarding the above topics, feel free to call our technicians, who can provide the best service.