Sometimes, the Seagate Expansion portable 1TB drive might not be detected by your computer when you connect it. However, you can resolve the problem and make your hard drive appear on the desktop by referring to the instructions mentioned in this post.
If your computer does not detect the hard drive, you can look at the Device Manager window. Check whether the drive appears in that window.
Checking the Seagate Expansion drive in Device Manager
- On your Windows computer, type Device Manager in the search bar. From the search results, select Device Manager.
- Under the Disk drives section, click the Plus icon to view your Windows computer's full list of devices. Check if the Seagate Expansion portable 1TB hard drive is listed. In case the device is not listed, you can disconnect the USB cable and unplug the drive from your computer. Make sure that the drive does not get damaged. Later, reconnect the drive. This time, the drive must be detected by your computer.
You can look for an error message by navigating to the Device Manager window. It helps you resolve the problem.
Troubleshooting Device Driver issues
- On your Windows computer, type “Device Manager” in the search bar. From the search results, select Device Manager.
- In that window, you can expand the Disk drives section.
- Check whether your Seagate drive is displayed on the list. You can right-click the device and select Properties. In the Properties window, you can look for an error message under the Device status.
- You can also go to the Device tab. Go for the Roll Back Driver option to check any recent driver updates. It fixes the problem.
Sometimes, your Seagate Expansion portable drive is not detected by your computer when there is a damaged port on your Windows computer.
Using a different USB port
- If your Windows computer does not detect the device, you can check whether you have a damaged USB port. Due to the damaged USB cable or USB port, the device might not appear. Use a different USB port or connect the hard drive to another computer. It helps you fix the problem.
- Additionally, you can check whether your Seagate Expansion portable drive is properly turned on. So, just disconnect the power cable and reconnect it.
That’s how you fix the Seagate Expansion 1TB portable drive not detected problem. You can implement the steps as described above.