Under normal circumstances, an external hard drive will be detected by your computer, and it doesn’t require any additional drivers or software in most instances. However, your LaCie Rugged external hard drive may not show up on your Windows 10 computer due to some reasons. Try out all the troubleshooting solutions listed in this article and check if they help you fix “LaCie Rugged not showing up on Windows 10”.
Try The Basic Troubleshooting Solutions
- Before applying the advanced solutions, you should check the fundamentals in the first place.
- See if the USB cable is firm enough at both ends. If you find any damage to it, replace it with a new one.
- Try to connect your LaCie Rugged drive to a different port on your computer. If possible, try using a different computer.
- Check if your LaCie Rugged hard drive’s light is on. If there is no light, it indicates that the power adapter is not connected to power. In case you find any damage to the power outlet, try a different one.
- If you are using a power strip or surge protector, remove it and plug the power adapter directly into the wall outlet.
- If none of these troubleshooting solutions have helped you fix your issue, proceed to the following sections.
Change Drive Letter
- If your LaCie Rugged external hard drive has the same drive letter as any of the other existing hard drives, it will not show up on your Windows 10 computer. In that case, you can fix your problem by assigning a different drive letter.
- Open the Run box (Windows + R), type diskmgmt.msc, and click OK.
- In the Disk Management section, right-click on your drive and select the Change Drive Letter and Paths option.
- Once you assign a different drive letter, see if your lacie hard drive not showing up on windows 10 error fixed. If not, follow the steps given below.
Check Your Hard Drive’s Status In Disk Management
- Open the Run box (Windows + R).
- Type compmgmt.msc and click OK.
- When you are directed to the Computer Management section, click Device Manager.
- Expand Disk Drives, right-click on your LaCie Rugged external hard drive, and select Properties.
- Click the Volume tab and select Populate. Then, note down your hard drive’s disk number.
- From the left side, locate Disk Management and click on it.
- Now, look for the disk number you have already noted down and check whether it shows as RAW or Unallocated. In both cases, you need to format your hard drive.
- The following section will guide you on formatting your LaCie Rugged hard drive on your Windows 10 computer.
Format Your Lacie Rugged Hard Drive
- Go to the Disk Management section.
- Right-click on your LaCie Rugged hard drive and select Format.
- In the Format dialog box, enter a name for your LaCie Rugged hard drive in the Volume label field.
- Specify your preferred file system in the File system field. Choose NTFS if you want to use this hard drive only on Windows computers. To work on both Windows and Mac, select the exFAT file system.
- Let the Allocation unit size option remain as default. Click the OK button.
- Once you format your hard drive, ensure that LaCie not showing up on windows issue were solved or not.
We hope these troubleshooting solutions have helped you fix the “LaCie Rugged not showing up on Windows 10” problem. For further questions and clarifications, reach our technical experts. You can do this using the call option.