Are you trying to install OS X on an external hard drive from Windows? Then, you should format the drive to an exFAT file system in order to make it compatible with both Windows and Mac OS. This page explains how to install OS X on external hard drive. Continue reading without skipping to complete the installation hassle-free.
Connecting The External Hard Drive
- First, disconnect the hard drive that is connected to your Windows computer.
- Connect your hard drive to your Mac using a standard USB cable.
- Check if your Mac recognized your hard drive.
- Next, open Disk Utility and select the hard drive. Erase the drive and format it to the exFAT file system.
- Give your hard drive a name and select a scheme.
Downloading Mac OS X
- Open the App Store on your Mac.
- Search for the mac OS X installer.
- Click Get to download the installer.
- Confirm your download and wait until the installation files are saved to your Mac.
You have now seen how to download the mac OS X installer. Let’s install OS X on an external hard drive taken from Windows.
Install Mac OS X On Your External Hard Drive
- To begin with, open Finder on your Mac and go to Applications.
- Locate the mac OS X installer file you have downloaded.
- Click on the installer and select Continue in the window that appears.
- Accept the license agreements and click on Show All Disks.
- Select your external hard drive and click the Install button.
- Now, the mac OS X installer file will be saved on your hard drive.
Booting Mac Os X From The External Hard Drive
- On your Mac, click the Apple Menu and select System Preferences.
- Pick the Startup Disk option and select your external hard drive.
- Click Restart to mac OS X boot from external drive.
- Alternatively, power off your Mac and turn it on after a few minutes. Then, touch the Option key and hold it during the startup till you see the boot menu. Pick your external hard drive and boot your Mac with the installer file.
Now, you have seen how to install OS X on an external hard drive taken from Windows. For further queries and assistance, get in touch with our technical experts through the call option on this page. We ensure a quick response.