Due to several reasons, you may wish to reset your hard drive. Moreover, resetting means formatting the hard drive and wiping off all the data. If you want to reset your Toshiba external hard drive on your Mac computer, continue reading this article.
WHY DO YOU NEED TO RESET YOUR HARD DRIVE
If you want to work with your Toshiba hard drive on your Windows computer, you should format it with the NTFS file system. Similarly, you should format it with the HFS+ file system for using it on your Mac. If you wish to work on both Operating Systems, you need to format the drive in the exFAT file system. However, to work with Time Machine, you need to format your hard drive in the HFS+ file system. The following section will take you through the whole process of resetting your Toshiba hard drive.
PROCEDURE FOR RESETTING YOUR TOSHIBA EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
- Connect your hard drive to your Mac computer.
- Click on the Spotlight and type disk utility in the search field.
- When you are directed to the Disk Utility section, you can find all the connected hard drives under the External section.
- Now, locate your Toshiba hard drive and click on it.
- At the top of the screen, you need to click on the Erase option.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your Toshiba hard drive.
- In the Format field, enter exFAT or HFS+ (according to your requirements).
- In the Scheme field, select the GUID Partition Map option.
- Once the formatting process gets completed, click Done.
- From now on, you can start using your hard drive on your Mac.
- Remember that when you format your hard drive with the exFAT file system, you cannot use it for the Time Machine backup. If you wish to use a specific storage space for the Time Machine backup, you can give a partition to it.
- To allocate a partition for the Time Machine backup, click on the Partition option at the top of the screen and specify the storage space you wish to give for Time Machine.
- Once done, click the Apply button.
- Now, you can format the rest of the storage space in the exFAT file system to use it on your Windows and Mac Operating Systems.
This is how you should reset your Toshiba hard drive on your Mac computer. In case you face any issues while resetting your hard drive, feel free to contact us for remote assistance.