In this web page we will explain how to reset seagate external hard drive mac in detail. A hard drive can be used on computers running on different Operating Systems (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Linux, etc.). But in order to make the computer and hard drive communicate with one another, you need to format the hard drive with the correct file system. Newer Seagate external hard drives come preformatted with the exFAT file system, making them compatible with Windows and Mac Operating Systems, and you don't have the headache of reformatting them. Keep in mind that resetting a hard drive will erase all the data from the drive. So, always make a backup of the data in a separate hard drive.
STEPS TO RESET THE SEAGATE HARD DRIVE
Resetting the device is the last thing one has to do in the process of troubleshooting. Follow the steps given to know how to reset seagate external hard drive mac.
- First, you need to turn off your Seagate external hard drive.
- Disconnect the device from your PC or any other network device.
- You can view the Reset button on the rear end of the device.
- Use any paper clip or a narrow object to press and hold down the Reset button for about a few seconds.
- Once the reset process is over, your Seagate hard drive starts rebooting.
- It will take a few minutes for the device to reboot completely, so wait patiently until it is done.
- After a successful reboot, the Power light on the drive turns solid blue.
- It’s time to connect your Seagate external hard drive to the PC using a wired connection (USB cable).
- When you have plugged in and powered up, the Seagate hard drive icon will be visible on the Mac desktop.
- If, for some reason, you can’t see it, then follow the below steps to know more on how to reset seagate external hard drive mac.
- Open Finder and click on Preferences.
Note: Make sure that the External disks box is checked.
- Click on the Spotlight icon.
- Type “Disk Utility: and press Return.
- Double-click the Disk Utility option from the Utilities folder.
- You can see that all the connected storage devices, partitions, and disk images are displayed in the left column of the window.
- Select your Seagate hard drive from the list.
- You can find your drive listed under ‘External.’
- Choose the appropriate format from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a name for the volume.
- Eject your Seagate external hard drive when you are finished (Right-click on the drive icon and choose Eject from the menu that comes up).
Now you have seen how to reset seagate external hard drive mac computer. If you face any issues while following the above steps, you can call our well-trained technicians to help you out of the situation.