In this section you will learn how to reset seagate external hard drive. The Seagate external hard drive makes the best choice for storing all your digital content. But, you cannot perform resetting of the Seagate external hard drive. You can only format the drive. You can refer to this post for formatting the Seagate external hard drive. The steps provided are simple and easy.
Since the hard drive is not preformatted, you need to format the drive before using it. In case you are using a Windows computer, you can check this section.
Formatting The Hard Drive On Your Windows Computer
- Press and hold the Windows + R keys. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type diskmgmt.msc in the required text field and then click OK. The Disk Management window opens now. In that window, you can locate and right-click the hard drive and then select Initialize Disk.
- You can now select the partition style and then click OK. You’ll find the Unallocated box. Right-click on it and then select New Simple Volume. Click Next. Now, it's time to choose the file system. The two available file systems are:
- Choose your preferred file system. You can type the volume name in the Volume Label field and then enable the Perform a quick format checkbox.
- Click Next and then click Finish. You’ve now successfully initialized the hard drive by formatting. You can create multiple partitions if necessary.
Formatting the hard drive on your Mac computer
The steps mentioned below apply to Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, or Sierra.
- On your Mac computer, go to Finder and then select Applications.
- Select Utilities and then choose Disk Utility.
- At the top-left corner, click the View option.
- Now, click the Erase button in the middle of the screen. A pop-up window appears on the screen.
- From there, type a suitable name in the Name field.
- Choose the format option from the drop-down menu. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Click the Erase button. The Disk Utility will begin the formatting.
- The drive will now be formatted in the Mac OS Extended format. If you wish to format the drive into the ExFAT file system, select ExFAT from the Format drop-down menu and enter the further details to format the drive as ExFAT.
That’s it. You’ve now seen how to format the drive. Since you cannot reset seagate external hard drive, you can follow the information provided in this post to format the Seagate external hard drive.