If you are using more than two WD external hard drives and couldn’t recognize the correct WD drive, we help you solve this issue; by renaming the hard drive, you can quickly identify the WD hard drive. Renaming the external hard drive is a simple process, and you can rename the drive on both the Mac and Windows computers. Follow this page to learn how to rename Western Digital external hard drive.
Steps To Rename The Wd External Hard Drive On Windows
First, connect the WD external hard drive via a USB cable.
Make sure that the WD external hard drive is powered ON.
- On your Windows computer, click the Start icon, type this pc in the search box, and select This PC from the best match.
- Check if the WD folder appears on the My Computer window.
- Right-click on the WD folder and then directly rename the external drive.
- First, click This PC on your Windows 10 computer.
- Right-click on the WD folder, and then click Rename.
- Type the name in the text filed and then press OK.
Continue reading the below methods to know more on how to rename western digital external hard drive.
Rename The Wd External Hard Drive On Mac
- Make sure that the WD hard drive is connected to a Mac computer via a USB cable.
- Check whether the WD drive is turned ON.
- On the Mac computer, click Finder.
- Now, on the left side of the window, click the WD external drive below DEVICES.
- On top of the screen, click Settings drop-down box.
- On the drop-down list, click Get Info.
- Type a new name in the Name & Expression text field and then close the dialog box.
- Now, you can see the WD name is changed.
- Check if the WD drive is connected to the Mac computer and turned ON.
- Click Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- On the Disk Utility, select the WD external drive below the External menu.
- Below the Partition Information, delete the old drive name and then type the new name in the Name text filed. Then click Apply to save the changes.
- Finally, the WD external hard disk name is changed on both Mac and Windows successfully.
Now you have seen how to rename western digital external hard drive. Call our experts for more assistance.