Protecting your external hard drive using a password is a great way to avoid data theft/loss. However, sometimes it might seem annoying for many users because you will be asked to enter the drive password each time you try to access it.The following instructions explain how to remove the password from the Toshiba external hard drive.
You can use your computer’s BIOS screen to remove the password from your EHD easily and quickly. If this method doesn’t work, you can try the alternative method to remove it. The below section explains both ways in detail.
REMOVING PASSWORD USING BIOS
- Initially, make sure that your drive is connected to the computer.
- Next, open the BIOS screen on your computer.
- Go to the Security or BIOS Security tab using the arrow buttons on your computer keyboard.
- Select the Change HDD Password option.
- Now, a pop-up dialog box prompting you to enter the current password of the drive will open.
- Enter the current password in the given field.
- Leave the “Enter New Password” and “Confirm New Password” fields blank and tap Enter.
- Now, you can see the "Password changed" message on the screen.
- Tap Enter > Enter to save the changes.
If this method fails to remove the password from your Toshiba external hard drive, use the HDD Password Tool to perform the same.
Using HDD Password Tool
This password removal tool will help you remove the password from the EHD easily. It comes along with the Toshiba drive. If you haven’t installed this password removal tool on your computer, install it and then perform the removal process.
Installing HDD Password Tool
Before installing the hard disk password tool, ensure that the drive is connected to your computer. Also, check to ensure that your computer meets the requirements of the tool.
- Open the drive folder.
- Locate and double-click on the "HDD Password tool for Windows Setup.exe" file.
- Install the HDD Password Tool by following the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Once the password tool is installed successfully, its icon will be added to the desktop screen.
- Make sure that the Mac computer recognizes your Toshiba external hard drive.
- Open your drive folder.
- Double-click on the HDD Password Tool for Mac.dmg file followed by Install HDD Password Tool.
- Click Install > Continue.
- Accept the end-user license agreement of the tool when prompted.
- After installing the tool, perform the removal process as discussed below.
Removing password using the HDD Password Tool
- Open the HDD Password Tool on your Windows or Mac computer by double-clicking on its icon.
- Unlock the drive if necessary. To do so:
- Enter the current password of your drive in the HDD Password Tool window.
- Click Apply.
- If the drive is unlocked, the “Your external drive is unlocked” message will be displayed on the screen.
- Click OK.
- Now, the HDD Password Tool screen displaying your Toshiba hard drive name and its Security Settings will open.
- Click the radio button beside the Remove password protection option under the Security Settings section.
- If prompted, type your drive’s current password and click Apply to remove the password successfully.
Contact us to know more about “how to remove password from Toshiba external hard drive.”