In this section you will learn how to partition wd my passport for mac in detail. There are two types of WD My Passport hard drives; one comes preformatted with the HFS+ file system format, and the other comes with the NTFS file system format. The former supports the Mac operating system, and the latter supports the Windows operating system. But, if you want to partition your WD My Passport hard drive, you need to format it in the exFAT file system format.
- Before you start, it is advisable to know what partitioning is. Partitioning is dividing the hard drive into several parts according to the requirements. For example, if you prefer to use your hard drive for the Time Machine backups and store your documents separately, it is recommended to partition the hard drive. Before you partition, schedule the sizes of the partitions for each section and implement accordingly.
Continue to read the following sections to know how to partition wd my passport for mac.
Format Your Wd My Passport On Your Mac
- Turn on your Mac computer and connect the hard drive to it using a USB cable. Make sure that your hard drive is already formatted to the exFAT file system format.
- If you haven't formatted the hard drive yet, go to Disk Utility; locate your WD My Passport hard drive in the left panel and click on it.
- Then, click on the Erase option, choose the Format as exFAT, and the Scheme as GUID Partition Map.
- Finally, click on the Erase button.
Partition Your Wd My Passport On Your Mac
- As you have formatted the hard drive in the required format, you can proceed with the partitioning process. Now, go to the Disk Utility section again and click on your WD My Passport hard drive from the left panel.
- On the Disk Utility screen, click on the Partition button. When the Partition Device screen pops up, start to create your first partition. If you want to allocate a partition for your Time Machine backup, choose the format type as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system from the drop-down. Enter the size you wish to allot for the Time Machine backup.
- If you want to allocate a partition for copying and pasting, choose the format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system and specify the size you want.
- If you want to create a partition that is standard for both your Mac and Windows computers, give it a name, choose the format as exFAT, and specify the size you want to allocate.
- Now, a pop-up screen will show up and display the partitions you have created; then, click on the Apply button.
Now, you have seen how to partition wd my passport for mac. CALL our tech experts for instant assistance and get fine solution.