The Toshiba external hard drive is a portable device that comes with high storage capacity. Hard drives enable you to back up your data in an organized manner. If you have bought a new Toshiba external hard drive and are looking for the steps to install it on your Windows computer, continue to read this page.
STEPS TO INSTALL TOSHIBA EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS
- Take a USB cable and connect it to your computer and the Toshiba external hard drive.
- If your hard drive needs formatting, go to the Desktop screen, right-click on This PC, and select Manage.
- When the Computer Management screen appears, click on Disk Management in the left pane.
- When directed to the Disk Management section, right-click on your Toshiba hard drive and choose Format.
- On the following screen, uncheck Quick Format and select the file system as NTFS. Then, click on Start.
- Once the formatting process gets completed, you can start using your Toshiba external hard drive.
- To use your hard drive, open File Explorer (Windows + E). To move specific files to your hard drive, navigate to the destination folder, select them, and press Ctrl + X. Then, access your external hard drive and paste the files by pressing Ctrl + V.
- In case you wish to make a copy of your files, copy (Ctrl + C) them from the destination folder and paste (Ctrl + V) them to your hard drive.
WHAT IF YOUR COMPUTER FAILS TO DETECT YOUR TOSHIBA HARD DRIVE?
Sometimes, due to several reasons, your Toshiba hard drive may not appear on your computer. But, when you try some troubleshooting solutions, you can fix the issue efficiently. Here are the best methods that you can try.
- Check whether the USB cable you used to connect your computer and the hard drive is damaged. In that case, just replace the cable with a new one. Sometimes, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable can help you fix the issue.
- If your Toshiba device’s drive letter is the same as other existing drives, your Toshiba drive will not show up on your computer.
- To fix this problem, you should go to the Disk Management section and assign a different drive letter to your Toshiba hard drive.
- As a final resort, run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter and check whether your Toshiba external hard drive shows up on your Windows computer.
In case you have questions, you can reach out to us for technical assistance.