In this web page, you will learn how to format seagate external hard drive 8tb on mac and windows devices. The Seagate 8TB external hard drive is used as an alternative for expanding more storage on a PC. It is mainly preferred because it has an in-built RV sensor that allows the hard drive to maintain performance in several systems by offering more storage space when needed. Seagate hard drives consume less power in real-time usage, reducing the heat emission and improving the overall hard drive's reliability. Seagate hard drive provides point-to-point configuration with the serial ATA host adapter, as there is no master/slave relationship with serial ATA devices. But like other hard drives, Seagate 8TB external hard drive can also misbehave at times due to several reasons, which can be resolved by formatting the entire hard drive.
Tips For Effective Hard Drive Formatting:
- Before formatting the Seagate external hard drive, make sure that you back up all the data on either your computer’s internal storage or a different hard drive.
- The above step is important because once the hard drive is formatted, you can’t retrieve the data easily.
- There are several third-party software that can help you retrieve the data, but there are chances for data compromise, which none of us would prefer.
- Format your external hard drive to FAT32 or exFAT format to conveniently transfer the data between two systems.
- Always ensure that you use the Seagate drive on the same Operating System.
- If you use it on different Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.), the chances of data corruption increase to some extent.
With all the precautions in mind, let’s get straight to the Seagate hard drive formatting steps.
How To Format Seagate External Hard Drive 8tb On A Mac Computer?
- Turn on your Mac computer and connect your Seagate external hard drive to the system’s USB port.
- Make sure that the USB cable is not damaged, as a damaged cable can cause problems during the entire formatting process.
- Once appropriately connected, wait for a few seconds or so.
- Let macOS detect and mount the hard drive for use.
- Now, the Seagate drive icon appears on your desktop.
- On macOS Dock, select Finder.
- Navigate to Applications > Utilities and select the Disk Utility application.
- In the Disk Utility window, choose the Seagate hard drive icon from the sidebar.
- Next, click the Erase tab.
- From the Erase dialog box, select the Volume Format option.
- Choose APFS or MS-DOS, or exFAT.
- Usually, the exFAT format is the best one for formatting Seagate hard drives.
- Click the Erase button.
- Now, the macOS erases the entire data on the drive and reformats it to APFS, FAT32, or exFAT format.
- Wait patiently till the formatting completes.
- But the time duration totally depends on the size of data stored on your Seagate external hard drive.
- Once the formatting is done, eject the hard drive before pulling out the USB cable.
- Now, you can use the Seagate device as a fresh hard drive on your Mac system.
So, by following the above steps in an orderly manner, you can easily format the Seagate 8TB external hard drive on your Mac computer.
How To Format Seagate External Hard Drive 8tbon A Windows Computer?
- Plug the Seagate hard drive into your Windows computer.
Note: If the hard drive is not yet detected, use another port to connect the Seagate drive to your PC. If the drive is in excellent shape, then the PC will detect it easily.
- Look for the hard drive on your PC (My Computer or This PC and Windows Explorer or File Explorer).
- Right-click on it and tap on the Format option.
- Now, choose an appropriate format that suits your Operating System (By default, Windows OS will choose the New Technology File Format (NTFS).
- Select exFAT if you want the hard drive to work on Mac OS.
- Set allocation unit size as default and click the OK button.
- Depending on the data stored inside the hard drive, it may take some time to finish the formatting process.
- Once the Seagate drive is thoroughly cleaned, tap on the OK button.
- Now, you have the choice to make the required partitions and use the Seagate 8TB external hard drive like a fresh one on your Windows computer.
Now you have seen how to format seagate external hard drive 8tb. Reach our tech experts by clicking the call button and get instant assistance for all your hard drive issues.