Format Seagate Hard Drive On Windows 10
Over time, hard drives experience malfunctions due to wear and tear, viruses, or programs that cause system conflicts and hard drive issues. So, formatting the hard drive improves the overall drive performance. Seagate hard drives are used mainly to increase storage capacity. They provide a great option to store all types of media that you don’t want to keep on your primary disk. However, it is a good idea to take several precautions before wiping out the entire data so that the personal and private data will not be recovered by unauthorized persons, especially if an old hard drive is sold or discarded. In this guide, we will see the how to Format Seagate External Hard Drive Windows 10 computers.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN
- Before formatting the Seagate hard drive, make sure that you back up all the data on a different location.
- Once the hard drive is formatted, you can’t retrieve the data easily.
- Even though several third-party programs can help you retrieve the data, there are chances for data compromise, which no one of us would prefer in real situations.
- Always ensure that you use the hard drive on a single Operating System.
- If you use it frequently on different Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, Ubuntu, Mac, etc.), the chances of data corruption increases in the future.
STEPS TO FORMAT THE DRIVE EFFECTIVELY
Connect the Seagate hard drive to your Windows 10 computer.
Note: If the hard drive is not detected, use another port to connect the hard drive with your PC. If your drive is in working condition, then your PC will detect it easily.
- Locate the hard drive on your PC (My Computer or This PC and Windows Explorer or File Explorer).
- Right-click on it and click the Format option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, choose a format that is suitable for your Operating System (By default, Windows OS will choose the New Technology File Format (NTFS). However, if you want the hard drive to work on Mac OS, then select exFAT.
- Set the allocation unit size as default and click the OK button.
- Depending on the size of data stored in the hard drive, it may take a few minutes to finish the deletion process.
- Once the hard drive is thoroughly cleaned, click the OK button.
- Now, you can make the required partitions and use the Seagate external hard drive like a fresh one on your Windows 10 computer.
If you feel something is not working on the process of Format Seagate External Hard Drive Windows 10, you can call our customer care executives. Our experts will help you solve all the queries in a more simplified manner. And more, need to recover data from formatted seagate hard drive? Visit our page How To Recover Data From Seagate External Hard Drive.