Looking to format external hard drive with multiple partitions? If yes, read this article completely to know about the same.
Most EHDs come formatted and partitioned for your OS type. However, if you want to save different types of data in separate partitions, you can format it with multiple partitions.
Formatting the drive is straightforward. However, before you begin the format process, ensure that the drive is empty because there is a chance for data loss to occur.
If you have saved any important or personal data on the drive, take a backup of it.
Now, let’s see how to format the external hard drive with multiple partitions.
Format Hard Drive With Multiple Partitions In 2022 (WINDOWS)
Follow these simple instructions to format the EHD with multiple partitions.
Remove All Partitions From Disk
- Connect your external hard drive to the Windows computer.
- Open the Disk Management app on your computer.
- Now, locate the existing partition on your external hard drive and right-click on it.
- Choose the Delete Volume option.
- This will remove the existing partition on your drive.
Format The Drive
- Move the mouse cursor over the unallocated space of your external hard drive and right-click on it.
- Choose the New Simple Volume option.
- Choose or enter the volume size in the box beside the “Simple volume size in MB” section and click Next in the opened dialog box.
- Select the “Format this volume…” option if necessary.
- Choose the File system option of your preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select Volume Label in the given field.
- Select Allocation unit size as per your preferences.
- Click on the checkbox beside the Perform a quick format option if it is not selected.
- Finally, click on the Next button.
- Now, your drive will be formatted with the selected partition.
- Repeat this step (format hard drive) to create another partition on your EHD/format the EHD with multiple partitions.
This is how you can format external hard drive with multiple partitions. Click the Call button below if you want further assistance in formatting the EHD with multiple partitions.